News
‘MegaCambridge Is Inevitable’: Cambridge City Councilor Files Policy Order to Annex Boston
News
Hoekstra Defends CMES Dismissals at Faculty Meeting, but Wavers on Harvard’s Next Move
News
300 Protesters Rally Against Trump, Garber, and Leadership Changes to University Centers
News
Harvard’s Indirect Cost Rate, Explained
News
Satouri, Egi Elected as HLS Student Government Co-Presidents
Massachusetts State Rep. Marjorie C. Decker condemned Cambridge City Councilor Paul F. Toner for his alleged involvement in an interstate brothel network at a meeting with constituents last week — but stopped short of calling for his resignation.
Residents at the meeting asked Decker about her previous work with Toner, who endorsed her in her election last fall. But the representative distanced herself from him, and said that she “did not support Paul when he first ran.”
“I am disgusted, I am outraged and to think that there’s been a lot of overwhelming support in this community for us to just be silent on this, I’m not okay with,” she said in a recording of the event obtained by The Crimson.
Decker, who represents most of Harvard’s campus, has yet to release a public statement on Toner’s case. As of Wednesday night, she has not called for his resignation.
Toner, who was charged with sexual conduct for a fee after police reports revealed he had engaged with the brothel network at least 13 times in 2023, has faced calls from both state and local leaders to resign from his position. Rep. Mike L. Connolly is the only member of the Cambridge delegation to publicly denounce Toner, calling for his resignation days after his probable cause hearing.
Decker said she first learned of Toner’s legal trouble when the councilor called her ahead of his hearing.
“I’ve actually spoken directly with Paul, as I got a call from him on Friday, as a lot of elected officials did, was very clear about what I thought about his actions,” she said.
According to an elected official who was also contacted by Toner, the councilor made dozens of calls to elected officials and constituents shortly before his charges were announced. Andrew M. Paven, a spokesperson for Toner, confirmed that the councilor placed these calls ahead of the March 21 hearings.
“Councilor Toner reached out personally to many constituents, some of whom are elected officials, shortly before the news became public,” he wrote.
While the full list of whom Toner reached out to is unclear, Cambridge City Councilor Patricia “Patty” M. Nolan ’80 and Vice Mayor Marc C. McGovern both independently confirmed they also received a call before Toner’s probable cause hearing.
“Councilor Toner called me on that Friday morning and told me that he was going to be named in court later that day,” McGovern wrote. He added that Toner did not solicit support from his colleague, only giving him notice of his involvement.
Each of the city councilors released statements after Toner’s charges were announced, with Councilors Jivan Sobrinho-Wheeler, Sumbul Siddiqui, and McGovern calling for his resignation.
Only one councilor, Catherine “Cathie” Zusy, directly defended Toner and said he should maintain his position.
The Crimson reached out to the other members of the Cambridge delegation to the state house for comment on the charges against Toner and their stance on his resignation.
Senator William N. Brownsberger declined to comment while the rest of the delegation did not respond to the request for comment.
—Staff writer Matan H. Josephy contributed reporting
—Staff writer Shawn A. Boehmer can be reached at shawn.boehmer@thecrimson.com. Follow him on X @ShawnBoehmer.
—Staff writer Jack B. Reardon can be reached at jack.reardon@thecrimson.com. Follow him on X @JackBReardon.
Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.