News

Harvard Grad Union Agrees To Bargain Without Ground Rules

News

Harvard Chabad Petitions to Change City Zoning Laws

News

Kestenbaum Files Opposition to Harvard’s Request for Documents

News

Harvard Agrees to a 1-Year $6 Million PILOT Agreement With the City of Cambridge

News

HUA Election Will Feature No Referenda or Survey Questions

Saudi Bombing Probed

NO WRITER ATTRIBUTED

WASHINGTON (AP.)--President Clinton's top military advisers face tough questioning as two Senate committees begin investigations into the June 25 terrorist truck bombing that left 19 U.S. Air Force personnel dead in Saudi Arabia.

House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R.-Ga.) said yesterday the inquiries, which also include a separate House committee probe, will examine "whether or not the Clinton administration knew in advance of the danger."

Defense Secretary William Perry; Gen. John Shalikashvili, chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; and Army Gen. Binford Peay, head of the U.S. Central Command, spent part of yesterday preparing for today's Senate Armed Services Committee hearing.

In a letter sent to Capitol Hill in advance of the hearing, Perry said U.S. military forces based in Saudi Arabia took extensive steps to improve security prior to last month's deadly blast at Dhahran. But in an acknowledgement that more could have been done, Perry also outlined measures ordered after the bombing to protect against terrorism.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.

Tags