News

Harvard Grad Union Agrees To Bargain Without Ground Rules

News

Harvard Chabad Petitions to Change City Zoning Laws

News

Kestenbaum Files Opposition to Harvard’s Request for Documents

News

Harvard Agrees to a 1-Year $6 Million PILOT Agreement With the City of Cambridge

News

HUA Election Will Feature No Referenda or Survey Questions

Violence Persists in Boston

NO WRITER ATTRIBUTED

BOSTON--For the second day in a row, white youths pelted buses carrying black students as they drove through South Boston to attend classes at the high school.

Although no one was hurt Wednesday, three black pupils were slightly injured Tuesday, when about 15 white teenagers wearing ski masks attacked three buses with rocks and large metal bolts.

Inside the school, sporadic shuffles and a fight resulted in one student being sent to Boston City Hospital for treatment of a jaw injury.

Jerome Winegar, headmaster of South Boston High, criticized the city's leaders for their lack of concern.

"I don't understand why, with all the people running for office, that someone can't say 'we've gone beyond this.' The folks who are in charge of this city don't seem to care what happens here. This city is the craziest place I've ever been," he said.

White responds

Boston's mayor Kevin H. White, in reply to Winegar's remarks, said, "I resent it. What public official is he talking about? I've stood up more times than I can count."

Meanwhile, school security personnel have resumed the searching of incoming students with hand-held metal detectors. Such searches had been stopped last spring at the school, which has been disrupted by racial violence since integration in 1974.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.

Tags